My Latest Tweet

9.25.2009

Video Game Addiction In Kids

I was at parenthacks.com (love that website :) and came across this post and video...

http://www.momversation.com/episodes/video-games-violent

...where three moms discuss their boys' video games habits. I myself also know several moms who have sons who can't get enough of this electronic entertainment, and who are fixated on it to the point where nothing else matters to them.

I worried about lil' J for awhile because he adores the computer (which is good in many ways) and Wii. Every day it was: computer, Wii, computer, Wii.

He started in on it all fairly young (3 1/2 yrs) when he didn't really have a busy schedule. Because of this, I let him indulge in gaming, in the back of my mind thinking I'd have to start setting limits when he starts Kindergarten (which he did this year). I wondered how difficult this would be, and often thought that I should start cutting him back gradually, and getting him used to limits. However the early computer skills that he was acquiring appealed to me and so I just let it continue.

Then one day he he didn't play as much, and then the next even less, and before I knew it he was chasing a soccer ball around in the back yard.

I am convinced that because I let him immerse himself in gaming, he's had his fill, and played to the point of boredom.


Whereas if I had set limits, say with a timer each day or something similar to that, he would have been stopped before he was ready, and possibly left wanting more?

If you were given a slice of chocolate cake and while you were eating it someone intercepted the fork on its way to your mouth and took away the plate with half the slice still on it, wouldn't you be thinking about cake for the rest of the day? (I know I would!!) On the other hand, if you were allowed to finish the piece, and then were given as much more as you could eat, wouldn't you eventually feel tired enough of it to maybe not want cake for a few days? There might be a parallel here.

In any case, it's worked for us (so far :)

____________________
Return to Fine Grind

3 comments:

Jaina said...

I think it will be a little different for every child, but I think you could be on to something.

Jeanne Elle said...

Yup, I think that's what makes it so hard... every child is different, and what works for some won't work for others. We just do the best we can, I guess.

paula said...

Individual difference will be always there but as parents we have to take some effort in transforming their habit,whether its watching T.V,playing games ,not choosing right food etc.

More Posts!

Blog Upp